La Prévention Routière Internationale (PRI) is a non-governmental international road safety organisation. The key tasks of PRI are raising awareness and promoting road traffic safety at an international level and encouraging efficient action to improve road traffic accident prevention. For more detailed information about PRI, its vision and mission, click here.
PRI's main work areas are transferring knowledge and experiences (best practices, worse cases, developments), advocacy, raising awareness for road safety and lobbying decision makers.
In order to reach the goals set out in its mission, PRI undertakes a number of activities which are to:
- advise and assist national bodies involved in traffic safety;
- promote the co-operation of national and international organisations and bodies interested directly and indirectly in the promotion and improvement of road traffic and its safety;
- collect and dissiminate relevant documentation and publications in order to promote internationally best practices in road safety;
- distribute regularly declarations, resolutions and press releases in which PRI puts forward its political standpoint on road safety issues;
- take part in international key road safety events and meetings such as the meetings organised by the United Nations Road Safety Collaboration;
- create throughout the world an awareness of the consequences of traffic accidents;
- support as much as possible research into all matters relating to traffic safety;
- organize and promote joint traffic safety events such as regional conferences, a PRI World Congress every four years, a yearly Road Safety Forum;
- promote the training of road safety specialists and the exchange of experience in the field of traffic safety.
In the past few years, PRI has taken the initiative for several specific projects such as the EU-funded VAMOS project. I has also participated in the EU-funded CAST project.
The organisation of the 11th PRI World Congress on 24-26 June 2009 is a major activity undertaken by PRI in the year 2009. Read more below.
WHO, P. Virot
11th PRI World Congress (24-26 June 2009, Rotterdam)
In 2009, PRI celebrates its 50th anniversary by organising the 11th PRI World Congress "Young people and innovative road safety solutions". The congress was held on 24-26 June 2009 in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. During the congress, more than 45 speakers from around the world gave presentations on the most important current issues, trends and themes relating to young people and road safety.
For the presentations and videos of the congress, click here.
If you are interested at looking at the congress programme, visit our special congress website which is still online on www.priworldcongress2009.com
VAMOS - Volunteers Always on the Move for better Road Safety
As mentioned above, the VAMOS project is an initiative of PRI. Involving volunteers and focusing on vulnerable road users is the main objective of this European-wide initiative.
More about VAMOS here.
CAST - Campaigns and Awareness-raising Strategies in Traffic Safety
CAST is a Specific Targeted Research Project (STREP) set up with the support of the European Commission. It is aimed at meeting the Commission's needs for enhancing traffic safety by means of effective road safety campaigns.
PRI is one of the organisations supporting the CAST project. Apart from the European Union who is the initiator of the project, the other supporting organisations are: IBSR-BIVV (The Belgian Road Safety Institute and project leader of CAST) and FERSI (Forum of European Road Safety Research Institutes).
The CAST project has been set up to meet the demand for powerful and innovative guidelines to design, implement and evaluate road safety campaigns that can be used by EU Member States, by the European Commission for its own campaigns and by other stakeholders. More precisely, CAST has developed a Manual for Designing, Implementing, and Evaluating Road Safety Communication Campaigns. An Evaluation Tool and an Reporting Tool have also been developed by CAST.
Download the CAST Manual, Evaluation Tool and Reporting Tool here.
More information: www.cast-eu.org
RoadSafetWeb.net is another of the major initiatives that PRI has taken to work on better road safety.
RoadSafetyWeb.net - www.roadsafetyweb.net - is a website centralising data of awareness raising campaigns in the field of road safety.
More about RoadSafetyWeb.net here.